CDbg»Forums
Ryan Fleury
204 posts / 4 projects
Working at Epic Games Tools (RAD). Former Handmade Network lead. Maker of Hidden Grove.
Symbols not loading for my executable
Edited by Ryan Fleury on Reason: Initial post
Hey there, hope you're doing well!

I'm writing a program in C and have been trying to debug it with CDbg; unfortunately, I am running into an issue that I'm not quite sure how to solve.

When trying to step into my program, the application does begin, and it seems that the debugger successfully attaches, as I can pause execution. However, checking the Debug Output window tells me that although the executable's module was loaded, its symbols weren't:

Loaded module "<path was here>"(symbols not loaded).

I am compiling the program with the following flags:

-Gm- -GR- -Gs- -Gy- -Gw- -EHa- -GL- -MT -nologo -Od -W3 -wd4201 -wd4100 -wd4189 /Zi -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS

I'm not sure if this helps, however, as they match another program I am writing identically (though the other program is compiled as C++) which runs just fine in CDbg.

I'm not really sure what the problem could be here... any idea?

Thanks,
Ryan
Nikita Smith
45 posts / 1 project
None
Delix
Hey there, hope you're doing well!

I'm writing a program in C and have been trying to debug it with CDbg; unfortunately, I am running into an issue that I'm not quite sure how to solve.

When trying to step into my program, the application does begin, and it seems that the debugger successfully attaches, as I can pause execution. However, checking the Debug Output window tells me that although the executable's module was loaded, its symbols weren't:

Loaded module "<path was here>"(symbols not loaded).

I am compiling the program with the following flags:

-Gm- -GR- -Gs- -Gy- -Gw- -EHa- -GL- -MT -nologo -Od -W3 -wd4201 -wd4100 -wd4189 /Zi -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS

I'm not sure if this helps, however, as they match another program I am writing identically (though the other program is compiled as C++) which runs just fine in CDbg.

I'm not really sure what the problem could be here... any idea?

Thanks,
Ryan

Language should not be the issue. CDbg is written in C and I can debug it just fine. Maybe you can send me executable with the .pdb so I can debug it on my machine? There might be a bug in the NT headers parsing code which extracts PDB file path.
Ryan Fleury
204 posts / 4 projects
Working at Epic Games Tools (RAD). Former Handmade Network lead. Maker of Hidden Grove.
I sent you an email with a copy of the executable--thanks!